المحضار مرآة عصره (( رياض باشراحيل ))مركز تحميل سقيفة الشباميحملة الشبامي لنصرة الحبيب صلى الله عليه وسلم
مكتبة الشباميسقيفة الشبامي في الفيس بوكقناة تلفزيون الشبامي

العودة   سقيفة الشبامي > شؤون عامه > The English Forum
The English Forum كل ماتكتبه باللغه الإنجليزيه ، Everything you write in English
التعليمـــات روابط مفيدة Community التقويم مشاركات اليوم البحث

Meaning & Origin of the Word ( Okay) x

The English Forum

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 11-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
محمد سعيد بن مخاشن
نائب مشرف عام قسم الأدب والفن

افتراضي Meaning & Origin of the Word ( Okay) x

Okay (also spelled OK, O.K.) is a colloquial English word denoting approval, assent, or acknowledgment. "Okay" has frequently turned up as a loanword in many other languages. As an adjective, "okay" means "adequate," "acceptable" ("this is okay to send out"), "mediocre" often in contrast to "good" ("the food was okay"); it also functions as an adverb in this sense. As an interjection, it can denote compliance ("Okay, I will do that"), or agreement ("Okay, that's good"). As a grammatical particle it does not modify any other particular word, but rather reinforces the general point being made, particularly if that point is being called into question. And so, for example, a response to “So the accident kept him from going to the reunion?” might be “Oh, he went to it okay, but he had bruised ribs and his car was a wreck.” In this case “okay” does not modify him or his going anywhere; it is a particle emphasizing the point that is being questioned. As a noun and verb it means "assent" ("The boss okayed the purchase"). The origins of "okay" are not known with certainty, and have been the subject of much discussion over the years. x
( Source: Wikipedia )

Note: Some say that American regiments used to raise a sign reading:OK; meaning Zero Killed; i.e. every thing is alright! But this piece of information is not sure. x
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 11-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
باحرس1970
مشرف قسم الدين والحياه

الصورة الرمزية باحرس1970

افتراضي

Thank you my mentor Mohammed bin Mkhaelchen the lesson
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 11-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
محمد سعيد بن مخاشن
نائب مشرف عام قسم الأدب والفن

افتراضي

اقتباس : المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة باحرس1970 [ مشاهدة المشاركة ]
Thank you my mentor Mohammed bin Mkhaelchen the lesson

It’s OK; however I prefer to be your brother rather than your mentor. Mentor is a very big word. x
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 11-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
باحرس1970
مشرف قسم الدين والحياه

الصورة الرمزية باحرس1970

افتراضي

اقتباس : المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة محمد سعيد بن مخاشن [ مشاهدة المشاركة ]
It’s OK; however I prefer to be your brother rather than your mentor. Mentor is a very big word. x

Not big on people like you respected
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 11-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
الخليفي الهلالي
شخصيات هامه

افتراضي

Mohammed bin Mkhaelchen,

Thank you for your effort in enriching our English language, it is truly fascinating to know a word's meaning and origin.

Regards؛؛؛؛؛
  رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة